Wish List for Literary Ladies Guide
By Nava Atlas | On | Comments (6)
The goal of Literary Ladies’ Guide is to be the most comprehensive site about classic women authors (mainly in the English language, or who have been translated into English). The authors listed must be deceased, since our mission is to focus on our literary foremothers. Fortunately, there are many more women writing today than there were even in the recent past, and to have entries on living writers would be overwhelming.
To help us complete our goal, if you’d like to write a main entry on any of the authors listed below, please let us know by reaching out via our contact form.
Posts should follow this example format: https://www.literaryladiesguide.com/author-biography/du-maurier-daphne/ and another good example is: https://www.literaryladiesguide.com/author-biography/audre-lorde/
Please contact us first, though, to make sure no one else has claimed the author you may be interested in writing about. Submissions should be in the form of a word doc, and we will edit and post on our end. If you have a site or blog, we’d of course be glad to link to it, and include your brief bio.
We’re also looking for posts on feminism and feminist topics as they relate to women’s classic literature and the authors on this site.
Finally, we’re open to other contributions as they pertain to authors already on the site; see the slider at the top of The Literary Ladies’ Guide to the Writing Life — posts should be more on the side of informative and/or entertaining, though we do welcome literary analyses that are more academic.
Opinion pieces and book reviews are welcome, too, as long as they pertain in some way to classic women authors.
Before you delve into the author wish list following, here’s a short list of topics we’d love to see on the site:
- Great memoirs and autobiographies of classic women writers
- Influential one-book authors (Margaret Mitchell, Harper Lee, Anna Sewell, etc.)
- Literary friendships: Willa Cather & Sarah Orne Jewett; Virginia Woolf & Vita Sackville-West; Sylvia Plath & Anne Sexton
- Authors who wrote classics before age 25 (Mary Shelley, Carson McCullers, Miles Franklin, Colette, François Sagan, etc.)
- Under-appreciated literary heroines for girls (Mary of The Secret Garden; Harriet the Spy; Meg Murray of A Wrinkle in Time, Emily of New Moon; etc.)
- Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas’s excellent marriage
- Jane Austen Fan Fiction
- Literary love affairs and marriages (as separate posts; then they’d be part of a round-up): Gellhorn and Hemingway; Virginia Woolf and Vita Sackville-West; Anaïs Nin, Henry and June Miller; Katherine Mansfield and John Murray, etc.)
- Dorothy Parker’s Civil Rights activism and how she funded the NAACP
- How Margaret Mitchell secretly funded the education of black medical students
- Classic books that are good for book groups
- Discussion guides for classic novels by women
- Women and depression in literature (The Bell Jar, Yellow Wallpaper, etc.)
- Classic novels by women authors to read aloud with your children
- Classic novels for middle grade readers
- Women who won the Nobel Prize in literature
… and really, anything of interest to you that relates to classic women authors —pitch me!
Babbitt, Natalie (Tuck Everlasting)
Barnes, Margaret Ayer
Barney, Natalie Clifford
Davis, Rebecca Harding
de Burgos, Julia
Delaney, Clarrisa Scott
Evans, Augusta Jane
Field, Rachel (All This and Heaven, Too)
Gibbons, Stella (Cold Comfort Farm)
Hopkins, Pauline (Of One Blood)
Howe, Julia Ward
Jackson, Helen Hunt
Jacobs, Harriet Ann
Kingston, Maxine Hong
Landon, Margaret (Anna and the King of Siam)
Le Guin, Ursula
Luce, Claire Boothe
Mowatt, Anna Cora
Murry, Judith Sargent
Nelson, Alice Dunbar
Newsome, Effie Lee
Norton, Mary (The Borrowers)
Peterkin, Julia Mood
Pizan, Christine de
Porter, Eleanor H. (Pollyanna)
Porter, Gene Stratton
Richmond, Grace S.
Sedgwick, Catharine Maria
Spyri, Johanna (Heidi)
Struther, Jan (Mrs. Miniver)
Terhune, Mary Virginia Hawes
Thompson, Flora (Lark Rise to Candleford)
Warner, Sylvia Townsend
Warner, Gertrude Chandler (Boxcar Children)
Warren, Mercy Otis
Webster, Jean (Daddy Long Legs)
Williams, Margery (Velveteen Rabbit)