Write for Literary Ladies Guide
By Nava Atlas | On | Comments (16)
The goal of Literary Ladies’ Guide is to be the most comprehensive site about classic women authors (mainly in the English language, or who have been translated into English).
The authors listed must be deceased, since our mission is to focus on our literary foremothers. Fortunately, there are many more women writing today than there were even in the recent past, and to have entries on living writers would be overwhelming.
To help us complete our goal, if you’d like to write a main entry on any of the authors listed below, please let us know by reaching out via our contact form.
Guest posting on Literary Ladies Guide: writer’s guidelines
Biographies should follow this example format: https://www.literaryladiesguide.com/author-biography/du-maurier-daphne/ and another good example is: https://www.literaryladiesguide.com/author-biography/audre-lorde/
Please contact us first, though, to make sure no one else has claimed the author you may be interested in writing about. Submissions should be in the form of a word doc, and we will edit and post on our end. If you have a site or blog, we’d of course be glad to link to it, and include your brief bio.
There’s no upward word limit, but posts should be at least 700 words.
We’re also looking for posts on feminism and feminist topics as they relate to women’s classic literature and the authors on this site.
Finally, we’re open to other contributions as they pertain to authors already on the site; see the slider at the top of The Literary Ladies’ Guide to the Writing Life — posts should be more on the side of informative and/or entertaining, though we do welcome literary analyses that are more academic.
Opinion pieces and book reviews are welcome, too, as long as they pertain in some way to classic women authors.
Before you delve into the author wish list following, here’s a short list of topics we’d love to see on the site:
- Great memoirs and autobiographies of classic women writers
- We are committed to in-depth coverage of classic African-American and Latina authors, so any pertinent content is welcome
- Influential one-book authors (Margaret Mitchell, Harper Lee, Anna Sewell, etc.)
- Literary friendships: Willa Cather & Sarah Orne Jewett; Sylvia Plath & Anne Sexton
- Authors who wrote classics before age 25 (Mary Shelley, Carson McCullers, Miles Franklin, Colette, François Sagan, etc.)
- Under-appreciated literary heroines for girls (Mary of The Secret Garden; Harriet the Spy; Meg Murray of A Wrinkle in Time, Emily of New Moon; etc.)
- Jane Austen Fan Fiction
- Literary love affairs and marriages (as separate posts; then they’d be part of a round-up): Gellhorn and Hemingway; Anaïs Nin, Henry and June Miller; Katherine Mansfield and John Murray, etc.)
- Dorothy Parker’s Civil Rights activism and how she funded the NAACP
- How Margaret Mitchell secretly funded the education of black medical students
- Classic books that are good for book groups
- Discussion guides for classic novels by women
- Women and depression in literature (The Bell Jar, Yellow Wallpaper, etc.)
- Classic novels by women authors to read aloud with your children
- Classic novels for middle grade readers
… and really, anything of interest to you that relates to classic women authors —pitch me!
Bambara, Toni Cade
Breithaupt, Marguerite (claimed)
Burrill, Mary P.
Davis, Rebecca Harding
Delaney, Clarrisa Scott
Evans, Augusta Jane
Field, Rachel (Claimed)
Freeman, Mary E. Wilkins
George, Jean Craighead
Gibbons, Stella (Cold Comfort Farm)
Hopkins, Pauline (Of One Blood)
Howard, Elizabeth Jane
Howe, Julia Ward
Jhabvala, Ruth Prawer
Landon, Margaret (Anna and the King of Siam)
Luce, Claire Boothe
Mowatt, Anna Cora
Murry, Judith Sargent
Newsome, Effie Lee
Peterkin, Julia Mood
Pizan, Christine de
Richmond, Grace S.
Richardson, Henry Handel (Ethel Florence Lindsay Richardson)
Rinehart, Mary Roberts
Sedgwick, Catharine Maria
Sontag, Susan (claimed)
Stoddard, Elizabeth Drew
Struther, Jan (Mrs. Miniver)
Terhune, Mary Virginia Hawes
Thompson, Flora (Lark Rise to Candleford)
Warner, Gertrude Chandler (Boxcar Children)
Warren, Mercy Otis
Webster, Jean (Daddy Long Legs)
Williams, Margery (Velveteen Rabbit)
Woolson, Constance Fenimore